There are no actual battles, no talkin’ trash, no smokin’ fools, no winners, no losers—just an opportunity to express yourself with Custom Letters among some like-minded peers.
Make letters. Have fun.
Drout 750, aka Paul O’Sullivan, started AlphaBattle last year as a Flickr group, based on a concept that goes back nearly 10 years to various grafitti forums. This is the reboot, version 2.0.
We’ll start with A, do a new letter every two weeks, and finish with Z, about this time in 2011. Fifty-two weeks, twenty-six letters.
So, here’s the skinny.
February 15 – February 28 – submit the Letter A. On March 1, we will publish all of them.
March 1 – March 15 – submit the Letter B. On March 16, we will publish all of them.
And we’ll continue posting the dates as we progress.
• Submit a 600 pixel wide file (flattened, jpg, tif, gif) to lettercult [[at]] gmail.com. You can also upload to the Alphabattle Flickr 2.0 group. And while you’re at it, you can upload your letters to Nate’s LetterPlayground.
• Include a link to your site, if you’d like us to link.
• One submission per person per letter.
• You can make your letters however you choose, with one exception: Don’t use a font as a starting point…this is a site about letters you build from scratch. (wink)
• Keep it safe for work.
• Try to be original, in some way, shape, or form.
• Have fun.
• You can submit a letter after any deadline. We’ll still add it to the group.
Here are a few things to help get you in the mood.
First, from Jessica Hische, as posted on her blog. A starting point for making letters and thinking about variations.
You could start with a pencil, a pen, a carving knife, a spatula, your toe in the sand. There are countless ways to make your own letters. Some more inspiration.